Well, words like "Best 5k time ever" and "I love this stuff, I NEED some more" and "I worked 14 hours straight" have been used. And since when does chocolate not work? But we put some other stuff in there.
The Power Up Energy Bomb has a couple of interesting ingredients:
- Theobromine - Usually found in cacao, or chocolate, theobromine is similar to caffeine, except instead of constricting the blood vessels like caffeine, it dilates the blood vessels, allowing more blood flow, which means more oxygen, which means more brain power and energy. It gives energy like caffeine, but lasts 5 times as long, and therefore doesn't give the "jitters." It also has the great effect of improving respiratory action, reducing persistent coughs. Cacao usually has about 2% theobromine, Power Up has 10% extract for extra power.
- Guarana - Guarana extract is well known in most energy drinks and bars for providing caffeine. We are not using guarana for that alone as studies have shown that Guarana has more benefits than just the caffeine and theobromine it contains.  Also, the caffeine content is equivalent to half a cup of coffee, so no shakes and jitters here.
- Taurine - is often used in energy drinks to counteract the effects of the sugar and caffeine. However, it also improves concentration, athletic performance and can minimise muscle damage.
- Honey - Honey provides readily available, slow release sugar for energy.
- MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglyceride oil provides slow release fats for sustained energy and helps keep your blood sugar up while you perform at your best. MCTs are proving popular because they provide the body with a high quality, instantly available source of energy that is easily metabolised and never stored as fat. MCT's are metabolised directly by the liver, unlike carbohydrate sugars which must trigger an insulin response before they can be transported via the bloodstream and taken up by the cells. They are used as a natural performance enhancer by athletes and bodybuilders as they are anti-inflammatory in addition to providing instant and sustainable energy. MCTs have also found use in weight loss programmes where they have been shown to improve metabolism and thyroid function as well as increase the number of calories burnt (thermogenic effect). Diabetics may also benefit from including MCT oil in their diets as it improves blood sugar regulation.
- Himalayan Salt - Provides trace minerals and electrolytes.